Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Mystery Soundtrack



I was pretty excited to see a new mystery mini-series on PBS this fall. It's called Case Histories and is really really good. The setting is Edinburgh and it is filmed really lovely. I love the characters, the music, the stories and actors. I highly recommend. I liked it so much I've saved it on my DVR to watch again.


"Thoughts from Kate Atkinson: Like me, Jackson is a long-term country fan and for each of the novels I've had a playlist — something which often evolves during the course of the novel, but which somehow points me to something essential at the heart of each book. Sometimes the tracks don't seem particularly relevant, but they are to me (and Jackson)...

I sent the Started Early tape to Ashley Phoenix, the writer of two of the Case Histories episodes, as he's also a country fan. I suspect some of the choices on the soundtrack are his, but the Mary Gauthier song is mine. I'm really glad that thanks to Case Histories more people have discovered Mercy Now as I think it's such a great track.

Jackson likes his women, not just Nanci Griffith and Lucinda Williams but also Iris DeMent, Gillian Welch, Mary Gauthier, Eliza Gilkyson and a host of others. I am (and thereby Jackson, of course) a total fan of both Lucy Kaplansky and Patti Griffin, neither of whom are feature here but would most definitely have been on Jackson's playlist. Kris Delmhorst was a new artist to me but I've been listening to her a lot since discovering her on the soundtrack." from here. And here is a review by NYTs.

The Music

Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness by John E Prine (Bug Music / Universal International Music) – Performed by Nanci Griffith
Mercy Now by Mary Gauthier (Mary Gauthier Songs /UMG Recordings Inc)
Sweet Old World by Lucinda Williams (Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp / Chameleon Records)
Your Long Journey – Traditional /Doc Watson – Rosa Lee Watson (NS) – (Hillgreen Music/ Rounder Records Corp) Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
I’ll Take My Sorrow Straight by Iris DeMent – Elmer McCall (NS)-(Songs of Iris/ WEA International Inc.)
Trouble by Iris DeMent – Elmer McCall (NS)-(Songs of Iris/ WEA International Inc.)

When You Walk On by Eliza Gilkyson – (Gilkysongs/ Red House Records, Inc.)
Busker’s Saxophone by Kenny Tomlinson ( Ruby Films (Case Histories) Limited)
Bus to Baton Rouge by Lucinda Williams (Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp / UMG Recordings Inc)
2 Hearts by John Eliot & Jemima Stilwell (Sony/TV Music Publishing (UK) Limited/ EMI Records Limited) Performed by Kylie Minogue
Calm Before The Storm by Eliza Gilkyson – (Gilkysongs/ Red House Records, Inc.)

Destiny by Sia Furler, Henry Binns, Sam Hardaker, Sophie Barker – (Universal/MCA Music Limited/ EMI Music Publishing Ltd /Ultimate Dilemma Records) Performed by Zero 7
Drinkin’ Problem by Mark D Sanders & Lori McKenna (Larga Vista Music/ Hornall Brothers America Music/ Warner Music UK Limited) Performed by Lori McKenna
Mercy Now by Mary Gauthier (Mary Gauthier Songs /UMG Recordings Inc)
Winter Wonderland by Felix Bernard & Richard B Smith – (Donaldson-Douglas-Gumble Inc./ Sony Music Entertainment Inc) Performed by Macy Gray
The Magic by Joan Wasser (Chrysalis Songs/[PIAS] Recordings) Performed by Joan as Police Woman
Since You Went Away by James Johnson & Kris Delmhorst – (Big Bean Music/ Continental Record Services B.V) Performed by Kris Delmhorst
Vcr by Romy Croft, Baria Qureshi, Oliver Sim & Jamie Smith – (Universal Music Publishing Limited/ XL Recordings Limited) Performed by The xx

No comments:

generated by sloganizer.net