Tuesday, July 08, 2008

La Surprise


I still don't believe it.

It turns out that I may actually like the art critic, Jed Perl's perspective on contemporary art...even though I don't always agree with his examples. How did this happen...he drove me crazy a couple years ago with his naysaying about a couple of my favourite painters. Now I am excited to read his latest articles in The New Republic when they come out. I must remember to thank my friend Greg for turning me on to him. Thanks Greg! (who I wish would start a blog)

So when the real painting, which had been lost for 160 years, turned up--as the Times reported, "in the corner of a small sitting room in an English country house"--I felt as if I were in a story, perhaps by Calvino or Nabokov, and could not quite tell what was fantasy, what actuality. The very idea that this little masterpiece--a tiny thing, not much more than a foot high--was discovered in a dusty corner of a minor English country house is the stuff of fiction, at least of a Sherlock Holmes story, or perhaps one of Henry James's dark tales of art and inheritance. writes Perl about the discovery of a 160 year old missing painting...

A couple weeks ago, Perl wrote a brilliant article called Nihlism and Capitalism in The Art World for The New Republic, click the yellow text...for anyone who likes art...hates art...or wants to learn a little about it this is a must read.

The above image is Watteau's 18th Century painting La Surprise.

3 comments:

tweetey30 said...

this is looking pretty neat. cool you are blogging again. Missed you. How is your work going I think you said you had to do. I dont have your e-mail anymore because my hotmail got hacked into. I was going to e-mail you and explain but I cant.

Candy Minx said...

Hi Tweetey, I'll stop by your blog and also send you an email shortly! Cheers.

X. Dell said...

Interesting piece (the second Perl article). My day gig requires me to examine something similar, but in terms of music (the follow the money example), and you see a lot of that kinda thing going on in spurts over the past fifty years.

I got kinda lost in The New Republic links, and began nosing about, just to read other articles by Perl and his contemporaries. I'm really on the fence when it comes to the subject of art criticism. But I appreciate cultural critique that The New Republic (and a few others, like the Voice) indulge in.

generated by sloganizer.net