Monday, December 17, 2007

Ridicule Is Nothing To Be Scared Of


Which Ant Are You?






Take this quiz!








Quizilla |
Join
| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code




Asterisk found a quiz with Adam and The Ants. I guess you know you're a legend when your career enables a blog quiz meme! It's easy to forget how much inspiration Adam Ant gave his fans when he was making music. As many of you know, I adored Adam Ant he really knew how to be a rock star too. We watched a documentary about him a few months ago following his punk days, rise to pop star and his struggle with bipolar disorder.

I was pretty glad to score as an Adam Ant in "which ant are you quiz"...Adam Ant is one of the most inspiring artists, first, did anyone ever have as much fun making videos? His lyrics often had empowering messages and a guy who wasn't afraid to dance his fantasies, wear make up and dress androgynously was a huge inspiration to those who are shy, in the closet or trying to take risks in making art and music. It's funny the BBC banned a video called "Strip" and I looked at it today and it is so tame, it's hilarious.

It is bizarre to see how vicious rumours, censorship, and ridicule surrounds some innovative free spirits.

What is really amazing is looking back at his career, and many of the risks he took...it's incredible that his emotional breakdown didn't prevent him from working when he was younger. His lyrics for "Ridicule" now seem much more important than how fun they seemed back in the 80's. Although his illness became mainstream recently he must have been struggling with doubt, depression and able to persevere for years while critics joked and censored his work. I admire other celebrities who are publically associated with bipolar disorder like Tim Burton, Buzz Aldrin, Dick Cavett, Tom Waits and Rosemary Clooney and how they kept working and inspiring their fans.

Adam Ant on punk: Punk was the way we thought we could change things. We wanted to shock Britain out of its small-minded, cosy complacency. The music was deliberately loud and simple in direct contrast to the overproduced, far too clever musical rubbish coming from the mega-rich rock stars who had nothing in common with us. We didn’t want twenty-minute drum solos or pathetic, self-obsessed rubbish offered up as lyrics.

Punk fashion was all about sex, revealing and trashy in direct contrast to the smart casual dress of the day. Because everyone wore flared trousers, punks wore straight-legged trousers. Because men and boys still wore ties, punks wore ties, but studded them with safety pins and wore them more like a noose than a necktie. Because men and women wore their hair neat and styled, punks wore theirs deliberately messy, badly cut and brightly coloured. Because sex was still an activity that took place in private in Britain, between two (married) people, punks acted provocatively and perversely.


Adam Ant on bipolar disorder: I have been able to look forward and find clarity in dealing with the events that have taken place in my life and understand how to manage my condition. I am reclaiming my life from bipolar illness. I know now what the warning signs are, and when I am in danger of feeling depressed or manic I can, with help, manage to avoid both states. I am in recovery.’

Prince charming
Prince charming
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of
Dont you ever, dont you ever
Stop being dandy, showing me youre handsome

Dont you ever, dont you ever
Lower yourself, forgetting all your standards
Dont you ever, dont you ever
Lower yourself, forgetting all your standards

6 comments:

* (asterisk) said...

Well, you know where I stand on this. He's, like, a god. Period.

Here's my Ant jacket.

tweetey30 said...

I was Adam on Friday when I took it and forgot to tell you. I thought I posted this one my blog but guess I didnt. LOL..

Candy Minx said...

Adam is a god. Yep. Wonderful jacket, *!

Tweetey, no I missed your post saying you took the quiz. It had the funniest questions...does everybody turn out to be Adam? Or did all three of us say we would be a bear? Ha!

Janet said...

loved him back in the day, such a pretty man!

Malcolm said...

Excellent post on Adam Ant! I had no idea you were a fan. "Strip" is one of my favorite tunes... I wish I had it with me now. I'll have to take the quiz later on today.

Gardenia said...

Oh, I took the test, I turned out as Merrick - most normal of the two drummers.

generated by sloganizer.net