Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Extra Cormac Online!

The interview between Oprah and Cormac McCarthy aired this morning...but the interview without the bells and whistles...is online at Oprah's book club. You need to register to be able to get the viseos...but it only takes a couple of minutes.

There are out takes from the television interview. I was so pleased with this interview...and will write more later...but it McCarthy's attitudes towards writing and his audience reminded me very much of conversations I've had with all my artist friends, Scott, Mister Anchovy, Tuffy P, my sister The Underground Baker. McCarthy is one of our peeps!

And check it out...he talks about punctuation, his reasons for not delving into female characters, God, his life of being poor and how passion is more important than working. It's a very short set interview but McCarthy covers a lot of ground.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jonathan Franzen, it didn't kill Cormac to be part of the Oprah thingy. Nya Nya Nya! (he's way cooler than you, Jonathan)

Thanks for the link to the videos, I missed the broadcast.

Underground Baker said...

Hi,
I couldn't do it, I tried to punch in my name for the oprah book club thing, but my fingers wouldn't do it!
Soon as I finish this dam cake, I'm going to finish blood meridian, (again!!) - the interview has fired me up...
I choked when he talked about being in the motel room with his son...what is it with motels and the feeling of desolation???
I really must get back to that cake.
dam.

felix said...

Thanks for the link, Candy. I did the Oprah sign-up, a thing I would never have thought of otherwise.

Interesting interview, McCarthy is much more soft-spoken than I would have expected. Oddly academic in manner, for a guy who has unrelentingly avoided things academic.

Good story about the genesis of The Road, shows yet another way children can change your life.

Cheers

* (asterisk) said...

Punctuation, you say? Yes, well...

generated by sloganizer.net