Sunday, November 19, 2006

One Nation, One Land, One People


These beautiful Princesses are Miss Indian Princess 2006, on the left, and on your right is A.I.C. Miss Indian Chicago 2006-2007. Aren't they gorgeous. Thank you to their parents for allowing me to photograph them. I hope they come to here to say hello or take a look! Please say hello if you do!

Incredible results from choosing materials for new intents. If you click on some of these photos, you might be able to notice what these beautiful clothes are made from...assimilated from all kinds of objects whose original design or purpose is quite different than the result in these clothes. Up close are straws, electrical tape, asian fabrics and sari fabrics, transformed and embraced as a way to the ends. This wonderful sense of adopting and aplicating all kinds of sources and materials reminded me instantly of Stagg's art sensibilty (and my own too I admit). I loved seeing materials transformed to the artistic vision. Assimilation is a kind of spiritual healing and love. The artistry in the traditional clothing was deeply inspiring to me all day. If anyone thinks that diversity is dead in America just look within these photos! ONE LOVE!















8 comments:

Underground Baker said...

We are laughing so hard, (Dana and I),these photos are great, and I love the homeland security image! Dana wants a t-shirt with that image on it.

Cynnie said...

aww!..
I lived in Oaklahoma when i was a kid.
I went to a lot of pow wows..
they are always fun..
i want a homeland security tee too!

Cynnie said...

ooops..apparently i didnt live there long enough to learn how to spell it..
O K L A H O M A!!!

Candy Minx said...

Underground Baker, yes great t-shirt huh? I think they surfaced around 2003, I've seen them here in USA a fair bit. We should've bought a whole bunch huh? Say hi to Dana for me!

Cynnie, Hi sweetie long time no see, yes I bet there were some awesome Pow Wows in Okalahoma. I used to go to Pow Wows on a regular basis in Cananda it was wonderful to visit one here!

Red said...

Wow, amazing pictures, as always, Candy.

Funnily enough, there were some Native Americans dancing and singing in Covent Garden, London, on Sunday. I would have liked to take some piccies, but then I remembered about them feeling that each picture takes away a piece of their soul, and I felt bad even asking. I should hang out with ballsy types like you more! ;D

And Miss Indian Chicago is wearing a Paul Frank T!

mister anchovy said...

the top couple pics look like spacey 60's abstraction. groovy, baby.

ems said...

Again, brilliant photos - thanks for sharing them with us!

* (asterisk) said...

Love love love the Homeland Security thing. Fantastic!

generated by sloganizer.net