Monday, October 23, 2006

Odds And Ends...

" Yes, it's true, I had a Jesuit education. That's where I learned about fear." Hitchcock on the Dick Cavett Show which TCM network is playing a marthon with Cavett introducing the episodes (Bette Davis is on in the background right now, that is if it's possible for Davis to be in any background.
.........
"I didn't offend you did I? Did I say something offensive to you as a Catholic?" Sarah.

"I'm not really a Catholic anymore, you know. I suppose I practice a sort of secular Catholicism, one that involves ritualizing certain aspects of everyday life and imbuing them with a spiritual intensity they might not otherwise possess but I don't want to put too fine a point on it." Grissom.
..............
"May I get that for you? Or does that offend you?" Cavett, reaching to light her cigarette.

"Oh no, I'm not woman's lib." Davis.

"Well, I am you know." Cavettt

"You mean you've liberated a lot of women?" Davis.

Long pause, laughter.

"You see really, only the men can do that anyways." Davis.

4 comments:

Gardenia said...

I have been watching some of the old Cavette interviews too and enjoying them a lot.

You caught a good one, it seems - these remarks are hillarious. Seems Davis is as sharp tongued as Hepburn. Wish I had that ability!

Karen said...

God, Bette Davis had quite the razor sharp wit didn't she? What a dame.

Red said...

Love that little dialogue at the end. Bette Davis was a giant among women... what a dame!

For more great (scripted, this time) dialogue, you might want to turn to one of my fave movies, Indiscreet. Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant sizzle!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Bette Davis was supurb. And those eyes!!

generated by sloganizer.net